- About LMI
- Seminars and Workshops
- Legacy Media and the BFI to offer fourth London Workshop in September 2016
- 2014 LMI-BFI Workshop Project to Premiere 15 March at BFI-Southbank
- LMI Heads to London for 3rd Workshop with the BFI
- “Hear My Son” – LMI-BFI London 2013 Workshop Project
- Legacy Media Institute Launches Second Black British Filmmaker Workshop
- 2011 Workshop Successfully Completed
- 2010 Summer Project Receives Award at Virginia Film Festival!
- 2010 Summer Workshop Project to screen at the VA Film Festival
- 2010 Workshop Successfully Completed
- 2010 Summer Workshop Scheduled
- International Film Festival
- Special Events
- 2017 Spring Fashion Showcase
- 2016 Spring Fashion Showcase
- Other Recent Events
- Tim Reid Productions brings Nikki Giovanni to New Millennium to benefit LMI
- Tim Reid and New Millennium Studios Present “Easter Dinner” to benefit LMI
- Gospel Showcase at New Millennium Studios
- Petersburg Screening of Troop 491 at New Millennium Studios
- Announcing Tim Reid’s Movie Night Series
- Special Showing of “Once Upon a Time… When We Were Colored”
- Summer Project Receives Award at Virginia Film Festival!
- Support and Donate
- Contact Us
Announcing Tim Reid’s Movie Night Series
Award winning and acclaimed actor, director, and producer Tim Reid presents “Tim Reid’s Movie Night”, a series of events that will be showcasing independent films from the U.S. and around the world. To be scheduled once a month, an outstanding independent film will be shown in both Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia. When in Richmond the events will be held at the Hippodrome Theater (at 528 North 2nd Street in historic Jackson Ward) which was considered the center of African-American commerce, arts, and entertainment during the early 20th century. When in Norfolk, the events will be held at the Attucks Theatre (at 1010 Church Street in Downtown Norfolk), which when first opened in the 20s, and was known as the “Apollo of the South.”
These events will kick off in Norfolk at the Attucks Theatre on Thursday night, February 23rd, at 7:00 pm, and will continue the following night, February 24th, at 7:00 pm in Richmond at the Hippodrome. The inaugural film for the series is an amazing film from London, England, entitled Lover’s Rock by British film maker, Menelik Shabazz. This musical documentary showcases a new genre of British reggae music, soon called “lover’s rock” from the 1970’s and 80’s, that soon attracted a following around the world. This uniquely British sound later influenced bands such as The Police, Culture Club, and UB40.
The film was directed by Menelik Shabazz, an independent filmmaker from the United Kingdom, who was introduced to the world of video during his teenage years in London. He attended the London International Film School from 1974 to 1976. For this inaugural series, he will be attending the two screenings, and will hold a question and answer session at the conclusion of each screening.
This will allow moviegoers in the Richmond/Tidewater areas to ask questions, gain knowledge, and network with independent film makers, directors, and producers they do not usually have direct access to. Tickets to the screenings for “Lover’s Rock” are $10 each and will be available at the door, and all proceeds will go towards supporting the Legacy Media Institute, a non-profit organization advancing the art of media production for a diverse global society.
The Legacy Media Institute also wishes to recognize and thank the Virginia Film Office for their support for this series of screenings.
To see a brief trailer for the film, please go to:
For the Attucks:
For the Hippodrome:
Upcoming LMI Events
New Flipboard Magazine from LMITo access the magazine, open up the Flipboard app on your Apple or Android device (it works much better on tablets, but articles do show up on phones), search for "Filmmaking" in the search box, and click on "Filmmaking." Or, if you are usind the Google Chrome browser you can click on the Flipboard image to the left, or HERE to see the magazine on your desktop or laptop computer.
Mission of LMI
Legacy Media Institute is a non-profit 501(C)(3) organization dedicated to bringing together leading professionals in the film and television industry, outstanding actors, and young men and women who wish to pursue a career in the entertainment media. By means of its programs, the Institute seeks to promote excellence and accountability throughout the process of creating media that reflects a diverse global society.
Sign up for periodic updates about LMI