- About LMI
- Seminars and Workshops
- Legacy Media and the BFI to offer fourth London Workshop in September 2016
- 2014 LMI-BFI Workshop Project to Premiere 15 March at BFI-Southbank
- LMI Heads to London for 3rd Workshop with the BFI
- “Hear My Son” – LMI-BFI London 2013 Workshop Project
- Legacy Media Institute Launches Second Black British Filmmaker Workshop
- 2011 Workshop Successfully Completed
- 2010 Summer Project Receives Award at Virginia Film Festival!
- 2010 Summer Workshop Project to screen at the VA Film Festival
- 2010 Workshop Successfully Completed
- 2010 Summer Workshop Scheduled
- International Film Festival
- Special Events
- 2017 Spring Fashion Showcase
- 2016 Spring Fashion Showcase
- Other Recent Events
- Tim Reid Productions brings Nikki Giovanni to New Millennium to benefit LMI
- Tim Reid and New Millennium Studios Present “Easter Dinner” to benefit LMI
- Gospel Showcase at New Millennium Studios
- Petersburg Screening of Troop 491 at New Millennium Studios
- Announcing Tim Reid’s Movie Night Series
- Special Showing of “Once Upon a Time… When We Were Colored”
- Summer Project Receives Award at Virginia Film Festival!
- Support and Donate
- Contact Us
Today the next generation of filmmakers will begin training on the campus of New Millennium Studios in Petersburg, VA.
Legacy Media Institute, a 501 (c) 3 non-profit organization founded by award-winning producer and director Tim Reid, will begin their inaugural media arts training program. This rigorous four-week training program will provide these students with the skills to excel in the artistic craft of filmmaking while providing them with the essential business aspects of media production. Another feature of the program is that the students will train in a state-of-the- art media production facility on the 57-acre campus of New Millennium studios.
The key aspects of the LMI program include documentary film production, feature film production, and the products of the students will be featured in the upcoming Legacy Film Festival scheduled for summer fall 2011. With the workshop beginning on July 6th, these future filmmaking hopefuls will receive workshop instruction from both regional and national media production professionals, as well as practical shooting experience on location in historic Central Virginia.
This very selective program is being funded by a combination of support from Virginia State University’s Department of Mass Communications, a grant from the Cameron Foundation, as well as a contribution from the Virginia Film Office. Tim Reid, a Virginia native who made his name in Hollywood in numerous TV and feature films, including “WKRP in Cincinnati” and “Sister-Sister,” and is the co-founder of New Millenniums Studios, with his wife Daphne Maxwell Reid, said “The Legacy Media Institute was created to expand my initial efforts to develop the best-in-breed media arts incubation center on the east coast. Our mission to provide independent artists with a unique opportunity to learn and grow in their chosen field of media arts.”
While this summer’s session has the majority of participants coming from Virginia State University, future sessions will include students from an expanding number of colleges and universities that are signing up to participate in the Institute’s seminar and training programs. The Institute continues to raise additional funds through special cultural events to expand and offer more training opportunities in media production, and would welcome any organization or individual who would like to join the list of supporters for these programs.
Upcoming LMI Events
New Flipboard Magazine from LMITo access the magazine, open up the Flipboard app on your Apple or Android device (it works much better on tablets, but articles do show up on phones), search for "Filmmaking" in the search box, and click on "Filmmaking." Or, if you are usind the Google Chrome browser you can click on the Flipboard image to the left, or HERE to see the magazine on your desktop or laptop computer.
Mission of LMI
Legacy Media Institute is a non-profit 501(C)(3) organization dedicated to bringing together leading professionals in the film and television industry, outstanding actors, and young men and women who wish to pursue a career in the entertainment media. By means of its programs, the Institute seeks to promote excellence and accountability throughout the process of creating media that reflects a diverse global society.
Sign up for periodic updates about LMI